It all started when my grandma called at 7:45am Saturday morning to say she was coming out to see the kids. I already had plans for my friend Hope to come out and see the kiddos and have a little girl time in the afternoon, but I can always reschedule with her. How could I tell my Grandma not to come over? So my plans for the day were already changing and it seems that whenever that happens, the rest of the day just falls apart.
And sure enough, Mia woke up with an absolutely awful dirty diaper and the beginnings of a rash. She’s difficult to change a diaper normally because she squirms so much, but with the rash she was in so much pain we had to put her in the tub each time she had a dirty diaper that day, which was about 4x. Poor baby hurt so much she couldn’t even sit down in her chair to eat, she would hold herself up with both arms. She’s doing much better now and the rash is almost gone, but all day Saturday and Sunday was a complete battle trying to change her many dirty diapers. Not exactly sure what made her break out so bad. I know it wasn’t any reaction to food because we haven’t introduced any new foods for a while so I’m guessing it’s some sort of viral tummy bug because Andrew has it now too :(
Back to Saturday, we had a good visit with grandma and then my mom and I took her to lunch at the tea room when the kids went down for nap. Their quiche is so yummy and I love their tortilla soup. Yes, even in the heat of the summer I still order their soup. Just can’t pass it up! Plus they have little tea parties for girls and I can’t wait until mine are old enough to do that too.
Around 4pm, Ava was sitting in my lap while I was reading a book and when we were finished I asked her where Daddy was. She got up and went to the gate to look downstairs and grabbed her groin and started crying. She came over and sure enough her hernia was out. We tried tilting her back to let gravity pull it back in, but it wasn’t working. So we figured if we let her walk around and move it will slip back in since this has worked before. Well, by 6pm it was out a lot and she was in no mood to walk around. Just wanted to be held and not move, which is very unlike her. My poor baby! We went ahead and bathed Andrew & Mia and put them down for the night and had my parents come over and help so we could take Ava down to Texas Children’s ER.
By the time we got there it was almost 8pm. Her hernia had been out for almost 4hrs now and no change whatsoever. Thankfully we checked in pretty quick and were in a triage room for just a minute when Ava threw up all over Alex, me, the floor, EVERYWHERE! We quickly cleaned her up and I’m glad I had enough sense about me when we left the house to bring a change of clothes for her. They got us in a room and before we knew it, about 6 people rushed in the room. The doctor and a resident laid her in a reverse incline on the bed and Alex had to hold her down while they tried to push it back in. They only tried for a couple of minutes before they figured it would be best to give her some morphine to help with the pain and calm her a bit since she was screaming so much.
Everyone left so the nurse could come in and start the IV to administer the morphine. About 5min later the doctor and resident came back in and explained that they would only try for 20min at the most to get it back in. If they couldn’t we would have to head into surgery. They also explained that it’s not best to operate when it’s out because with all the swelling it wouldn’t be a very good repair and a chance the hernia could come back. So our best scenario was for them to get it back in and hope to make it to our surgery date. Both Alex and I were at her head trying our best to keep her calm while the doctors worked on her, but she screamed the entire time. It was awful having to watch how much pain she was in. Thankfully, right at the 20min mark it suddenly popped back in. And about 10min later she was back to her old self. She was very swollen on Sunday and we spent a good part of the day pushing her hernia back in and it really took both Alex and I to do it since one of us has to push it in while the other one distracts her from the pain. Neither job is good, but has to be done. The past 2 days it’s only been out a couple of times which I am so thankful for. She’s still a little swollen but as long as we can hold off for a couple more days, she should be good to go into surgery.
And just because Andrew didn’t want to be left out of the fun, last Thursday he climbed out of his crib. We were hoping it was a onetime thing, but by Saturday it was a regular occurrence. I thought about getting a crib tent, and if they were still sharing a room I would absolutely do the crib tent. But since they are all in their own rooms I figured we could just convert his crib to a toddler bed. Here is his new big boy bed.
I knew this day was coming just not so soon! This is exactly why I don’t have any other furniture in their rooms and everything hanging on the wall is out of reach. My only concern now is when he learns to open the door, but I already have safety locks for those when that happens. So far, he hasn’t been sleeping during nap since we switched his crib and at night he fell asleep on the floor and even covered himself up. Yesterday he did finally fall asleep during his afternoon nap, again on the floor but at least it was right next to his bed AND last night he finally stayed in his bed and fell asleep. Progress! I’m sure it will be a few more days before he finally gets over his newfound freedom in his room and starts sleeping again.
Whew! That was a long post! Time to get the kiddos up and find out where Andrew slept today!

2 comments:
That is most definitely a long weekend! I think we may need 2 bottles of wine when we go painting.
Wow, what a weekend! I can imagine how awful it was to have Ava in so much pain. I hope the surgery goes well and you don't have to deal with it anymore.
And Andrew..oh man...already? I dreading this too!
Post a Comment