Friday, September 24, 2010

Ditching the pacis

I knew this day would eventually come, but wasn't prepared to do it this soon. Ditching the pacis all started because of this......













Ava started developing a rash around her mouth about 3-4 weeks ago. It started out as just a couple of bumps and since she was drooling so much, we just figured it was teething. But it started to slowly spread and no matter what I put on her, it just never went away. It would fade but at least once a day for the past week it would look like the picture above. Thankfully it didn't seem to bother, but I took her in to the doctor to see what the problem was. Basically it was just a rash that festered and was like a cross between a yeast infection and eczema. She prescribed some ointment and suggested that we ditch the pacis for a few days to help it heal. The pacis weren't the cause, but were likely trapping bacteria and preventing the rash from getting better.

Ditch the pacis? That wasn't exactly on my schedule for the day. I like to mentally prepare myself before taking on tasks like this but there wasn't time for that. I knew we would be getting back from the doctor just in time for lunch and then nap. Nap.........as in the time of day that they love their pacis the most. But I knew we needed to just get rid of them altogether instead of dragging it out. Which meant that poor little Mia had to get rid of them too.

That first nap was awful. Mia cried for about 45min straight. I heard Ava talking up there so she wasn't sleeping either. My only choice was to get Mia and so Ava could get some sleep. She fell asleep for about an hour before she woke up crying. Keep in mind they were both up about 1.5hrs earlier than normal. This is not good for a triplet momma's sanity!!! Thank God for Nana who came over to help me deal with the crabby & wild little girls. I was a little nervous about putting them down that night, but they all dropped off without a peep.

We are now on day 3 of no pacis and I think I'm almost ready to declare that we are officially done with the pacis. Yesterday morning Mia was kind of fussy and they did take a nap although it was still shorter than normal. I think they are just getting adjusted to soothing themselves back to sleep when the wake up in the middle of naptime.

As for Ava's rash, after only a couple days of the ointment it is SOOOO much better and we still have 8 more days to go. No smile in the picture since she was ready for her nap. Her paci free nap I might add!





2 comments:

Jill said...

Wow, that's impressive! You make it sound really easy! I am dreading our day, although I have heard from many people that it's never really as bad as you think it will be. Glad things cleared up!

Susan said...

It really hasn't been that bad. Ava asked for it a couple times and has looked under her crib, but otherwise it's been relatively easy.....other than that 1st nap!