Monday, October 4, 2010

Helping daddy

I hate clutter. Can't stand it. Anyone who has been in my house can attest to that. I don't like knick knacks and I like to keep things neat and organized. Not easy to do with triplets, but I try.

My source of frustration has been their playroom. In our old house we used the guest bedrooms as their playroom so it was small and we had a toy box that was able to contain most of their stuff and it worked out fine. But here they have a huge playroom and it also connects to the media room so it's a lot of space for all of their toys to spread out everywhere. Toys everywhere equals chaos for me. And of course after their birthday last year and Christmas we were bursting at the seams with toys. For a while I kept their toys separated into 4 bins and would just bring out a different bin every day. That seemed to work for a while, but I found that they were getting bored. Just dumping the toys out on the floor wasn't interesting for them and I, of course, hated the clutter.

After much searching and measuring I finally found the perfect storage unit at Ikea that fit the enitre length of one wall. Perfect! I love love love it! I like that all of their toys fit in it and now they're playing with toys they used to ignore before. We're still working on keeping the bins in the shelves, but they're not as bad as I thought they would be. They usually pull out about 5 bins and sit in them or push them around. And I kind of pick up through the day so there isn't so much clutter. See? I have serious issues with clutter!

One thing I don't like about Ikea stuff is that you have to put it together and this specific unit had to be attached to the wall. Luckily, Alex found himself a little helper.

Making sure it's all lined up with Daddy














Putting in the drywall screw














So hard at work!














Reluctantly turning around so I could get a picture













Okay, back to work!













And the finished product, well, almost finished. I still need some seat cushions on the benches and some pictures above it which I need to get done soon.













Yeah for organization!!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Looks AWESOME! I am the same way - I hate clutter and love to be organized, which you're right is not easy with 3 toddlers.

Leyla said...

Love them! This is what we have in our playroom! It works when all the toys are in there, but on any given day all the toys have been dumped and we are back to no floor space, because all the toys are spread out everywhere! I am about to do a major cleaning to make room for new toys for her birthday and Christmas this year. Too bad I can't get rid of any of the baby toys because we are going to need them again here in a couple months for Natalie! They are awesome bins though and they look great in your playroom! How fun!