Okay, so I'm not really that crafty and I'm very much a beginner when it comes to sewing, but in the past couple of weeks I have managed to create some cute stuff for my girls.
I have always loved shopping and I have found that I love shopping for my girls even more. Its an addiction really. My girls have so many clothes that sometimes they only get to wear something once before they outgrow it. Even worse when you consider how much their cute little clothes cost. I figured I would start with something simple, like a pillowcase dress. I read a few tutorials online so I had the basic idea of how they went together. Then I decided I would just take one that Astrid made and use that as my guideline. This is how it turned out.

Wearable, but not perfect. Wanting to get it done in a hurry made me skip some things like turning the bottom hem under so it wouldn't fray and the arm holes were a little snug, but all in all I was happy with how it turned out. Hopefully I can get the other one made this week, now that I have the correct measurements from Astrid :)
I also happen to love t-shirt/onesie dresses. The girls don't wear onesies anymore, but I have quite a few sitting around that I thought would be easy to make into dresses. Again, being kind of new to sewing, I started to look for a tutorial. I found a super easy one for $5 on Etsy, grabbed some scrap fabric and a long sleeved onesie. It took me a couple of hours, especially since I had never ruffled fabric before and I have since learned my lesson to knot it really well because it ended up coming out just as I was stitching the skirt to the top. I also cut the sleeves off because, well, its been 100 degrees for weeks now. Here is my first attempt, again not perfect but wearable.

I found the girls had a couple of tank onesies that would make perfect little summer dresses. I managed to find some cute fabric at JoAnn's and this time they turned out great. Not to mention it took less than 1/2 yard for each dress and without coupons I spent a total of $5.60. Woo hoo!

The girls were so excited to wear their new dresses! I can't describe how good it feels to make them something and see how much they loved it. I'm happy to say I have a new addiction :)

3 comments:
That's awesome - good for you! I know what you mean about it feeling so good to make them things. I would like to do more but I just don't have the time right now...someday hopefully.
And the dresses turned out great! I especially like the tank top dresses - what a great idea!
Girl, you did awesome w/ the tank dresses!!! I have a feeling I'm going to be asking you to come on to the {SIG} team, lol!
These are soo cute!!
Post a Comment